Our students enrolled in the festival course judge the international entries from August to March, and the finalists screen three evenings for our guest industry judges and local audience. Winners are announced and screened the last day of the event, with the judges hosting the exciting evening.
Our festival promotes the art of film, not only as a means of entertainment, but also as a vehicle for self-expression and a stimulus for dialogue about social, political and cultural issues. The Humboldt State University community as a whole invites and embraces the voices and stories of diversity and inclusion.
- Entries must be 30 MINUTES OR LESS
- Film must have been completed after January 2012
- Films entered once may not be re-submitted in subsequent years
- Submitted on DVD or Blu-ray (Finalists must submit .mov or .mp4 file)
- Must include English subtitles if film is in another language
- Must include entry fee and a brief synopsis
- No Refunds
- Press Kits are not required right away but are helpful and make things a lot easier later. If able, please include a digital press kit when you submit including a synopsis, running time, country of origin, director name, and still image from your film.
* HSU students and alumni no charge
* Humboldt County locals pay $10
AWARDS AND CASH PRIZES:
- The Best of the Fest – $800
- Best Narrative – $400
- Best Documentary – $400
- Best Animation – $400
- Best Experimental – $400
- Best Experimental Technique – $250
- Best Film with the Immigration Theme – $250
- Best Film Celebrating Local or Environmental Sustainability – $250
- Audience Choice in Best of Fest, Narrative, Documentary, Animation, and Experimental
Humboldt Int’l Film Festival
Humboldt State University
Dept. of Theater Film and Dance
1 Harpst St.
Arcata, CA 95521
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the Humboldt International Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses, including, but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court, which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening films entered.
I have read and understood all the information presented in the entry guidelines. I hereby vouch for the copyright ownership of the submitted film including the rights to all music therein. I take full responsibility for all content in the submitted film.
Humboldt International Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and/or accepted for exhibition and promotion of the festival. The individual submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
I have read and understood all the general rules and guidelines and have abided by those rules.